Pumpkin Pie Power Protein Smoothie
I recently got back from a 3 week trip to Europe (oh-so-fantastic!), but as you can imagine after all of that lovely food and wine, I’ve been more than ready to get back to some healthy Fall routines.
Not only am I gearing up to run my annual Clean & Lean 14 Day Pre-Holiday Power Cleanse. It’s going to be FABULOUS! I cannot wait! But I’ve gotten a head start by hopping happily back to my morning smoothie routine.Lately, I have been craving a more seasonal and festive smoothie. It took me some trial and error – so many smoothies out there are loaded with sugar and huge calories – but now I’m excited to share that I NAILED IT! This smoothie is low in sugar and deliciously balanced with protein, fiber, antioxidants and it tastes like, well, it tastes like FUN. Does that make sense?
Do you know what? I have a new appreciation for October’s favorite mascot; The Pumpkin. Maybe I’m becoming too much of a veggie hugger, but I feel sorry for the happy go lucky pumpkins.
They get this huge adoration for a few short months and then they are greatly ignored the rest of the year. They are kind of like the misunderstood trophy bride of Fall foods. Their cute little pumpkin heads are all dressed up for the party in October and prettied up and made uber sweet for pies in November and December, and then ignored, when underneath pumpkins have so much more to offer than meets the eye.
Pumpkin is loaded with fiber, beta carotene and has even more potassium per serving than bananas do (why do bananas get all the potassium glory?) which makes it a great choice after a workout for a smoothie.
Anyway, aside from that? This smoothie is DELICIOUS! I have been going to this 6:30 A.M. circuit training workout….don’t ask. I’ll share more later about that….and I am loving this seasonal smoothie as something for a quick and easy breakfast when I get home. I don’t use much ice, just enough to give it a bit more thickness. Drinks that are over chilled are hard to digest and this has a mellow flavor that doesn’t blend well with being uber frosty. Keep it cozy. It’s Fall.
Pumpkin Pie Power Smoothie
1/2 cup organic unsweetened pumpkin puree (canned or cooked)
1/2 frozen banana OR 1/2 apple (banana is sweeter I prefer apple)
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (adjust according to taste)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup unsweetened coconut or almond milk
2 teaspoons Clean & Clear fiber powder
1 scoop Clean & Lean Vegan Vanilla Power Protein Powder
2-3 ice cubes (optional but good if using apple)
Garnish with unsweetened coconut flakes & pepita seeds
1. Add all ingredients into a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
2. Add in ideas: Nut butter (pecan, almond, cashew, mixed nuts and seeds). Top with shredded coconut and a few pecans or pepita seeds. Give it a little crunch.
Try it and let me know what you think!
- 1/2 cup organic unsweetened pumpkin puree (canned or cooked)
- 1/2 frozen banana OR 1/2 apple (banana is sweeter I prefer apple)
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (adjust according to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut or almond milk
- 2 teaspoons Clean & Clear fiber powder
- 1 scoop Clean & Lean Vegan Vanilla Power Protein Powder
- 2-3 ice cubes (optional but good if using apple)
- Garnish with unsweetened coconut flakes & pepita seeds
- Add all ingredients into a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Add in ideas: Nut butter (pecan, almond, cashew, mixed nuts and seeds). Top with shredded coconut and a few pecans or pepita seeds. Give it a little crunch.
Don’t forget that the Clean & Lean 14 Day Cleanse is just around the corner and FULL of great smoothies and other delicious foodie fare.
Really looks delicious! You’ve inspired me how to use pumpkins, as I have a many of them this year. Maybe do you know how many calories in this drink? Thank you, Lisa!
Lisa, I’m so grateful for these recipies! You inspire my day, literally! Thank you for that 🙂