Are you feeling as relieved as I am that FALL is on its way? I feel that slight chill in the air, and I’m high fiving myself right into my flannel PJs. Yeah, yeah, sun and sun, and flowers and parties, going to weddings OR having a wedding, more on that later, and outdoor summer sex….well, SOME people do actually do that, I think…YUP. I KNOW I’m sounding like freakin’ Summernizer Scrooge, but I am
Over. The Summer. Thing
Brian & I got married last week!
Well. That is not WHY, but it leads up.
It was wonderful. B.W. and I love each other very much, and we also happen to thoroughly like, enjoy, respect & APPRECIATE each other.
So YES, it was all jittery, fluttery, romantic, and lovely, and……
YES, he proposed to me in this doorway of this Italian Villa! S’riously Folks!
Remind me to share with you one day, very soon, how and WHY my life has changed so much from a time when I never even imagined I’d be with someone who’d do something so romantic & epic for me…. No, t’was not ALWAYS like this for me. Not one bit.
And yes, I picked and cut my own flowers, along with my Fabulous new sister in laws.….because, well, you don’t get dubbed: psycho flower lady by your kids for nothing. And I was an Interior designer for 26 years, partly because I do think these details matter. Apparently, that maxim that does not include fingernails, in my case. As you can see:
Was worth keeping a hand in things, don’t you think?
My new ‘Sisters’ put them all together. This whole sister thing is excellent!
But, besides that, here’s what I did all summer:
– in the way of taking good care of myself & practicing my beloved work as a health & weight loss coach, anyway.
I chose to kick back and do whatever I felt like, wherever possible.
Here was the thinking behind that choice:
I’m getting married. I’ve been working my ass off this year. I’m going to take some time off and Chillax!
Ok, in a nutshell, this is what it looked like on the lazier pants side of things:
Sleeping in and skipping yoga or my normal morning hike
Too many happy hours “celebrating” with my friends
Wine in the evening, more often than not
Zoning around on the computer looking at stuff I don’t really need
Staying up too late since my recent discovery of Netflix – watching Parenthood (who knew!)
Not taking on new clients – which actually I did not enjoy, AT ALL
Running out of supplements that work well for me and not bothering to replace them
Basically, sitting too much and moving too little
Oh, and did I mention FACEBOOK? Oh, my LORD, WHAT is UP with THAT!
And those of you with kids at home? Yeah, I’ve been there. No options for this kind of decadence. I geddit. I’ll forgive you if you are flinging cheerios at this post; )
So, by now, you get the idea. And here’s what I noticed:
- I didn’t FEEL good
- Small things began annoying me
- My face and hands were feeling puffy
- I felt both creaky & cranky
- I had an undercurrent of anxiety
- My feelings were easily hurt
- I’m sure I put on a couple of pounds-don’t weigh myself anymore, but I was getting fluffier, for sure, and I was definitely physically weaker
- I wasn’t as content as I usually am. I usually wake up excited about my day
- I was actually staving off; being SAD
- I was becoming a “worrier” about things that were not my business – STOP RIGHT THERE! Remember what Byron Katie says about that?
THAT, my Friend, was the final straw: Worrying about things that are out of my control is a choice. And I have been OVER that useless mind & spirit drain..well…for quite a while, now.
Yes, for me, too much of anything that doesn’t encourage & inspire my overall health VERY soon feels like Crapola.
And I. know. this:
Change doesn’t happen with an about-face. It happens by building up habits in our minds. Slowly, by flexing regularly, we actually build new neural pathways in our brains until we’re doing things differently. These days, it doesn’t take me much time to acknowledge unhealthy things I’m allowing back into my life and how that affects my overall MOJO. Fortunately, over the years, I’ve come up with solutions.
And, if this is something you struggle with, I can help you learn how to do this, too.
Here is what I did NOT do:
- I DID NOT BEAT MYSELF UP.
- I did not go on a juice fast or look for quick fixes from the latest diet book.
- I did not go to boot camp. Nothing wrong with boot camp. I just don’t enjoy it these days, AT all.
- I did not make huge proclamations about the drastic plan of what I was going to do “next week” while continuing to indulge in things I’d realized were not working for me.
I mention these things because, for many years, this was how I’d treat my poor: YOYO dieting, all-or-nothing exercising, profusely proclaiming, helpless SELF.
Here is what I DID do:
One morning, I simply got up to go back to 7 AM power yoga.
And it was; awkward and not graceful, but it felt so RIGHT that I cried….just a little cry, not any crazy ass sobbing stuff.
I knew it would get easier.
And. It. did.
After about 5 classes, it was fun again; very fun.
It was much easier during that time to say “no” to the nightly calling of Fume Blanc, which was becoming less & less fun, and more like settling into a tiresome..habit. Here’s what I chose instead: Things like kayaking after dinner, sunset walks on the beach or in our neighborhood, and drafting plans and ideas for things I want to do, and new ways to help my clients.
Also, I did something I’d wanted to do for a long time: I interviewed one of my favorite yoga instructors: Amy Robinson, about the benefits of yoga for, uh, EVERYTHING; and how to start a practice. Do you want to be inspired to try yoga or be re-inspired to begin again? You can download the recording of the interview and listen to it here: Part 1 and Part 2. These are long, so wait until you have some time.
So, you see how this can roll:
I did not do this with a grin & bear it WILLPOWER. I did this with kindness & intentional gentleness toward myself. I eased back in.
I believe what works best is crowding out what doesn’t work well for us by bringing in positive things that do. You can learn more about this theory called Crowding Out, Here.
Speaking of Crowding Out, many of you have been asking about my Fall kick-off, CLEAN & CLEAR CLEANSE.
I have been getting calls & emails from many of you who are enthusiastically ready to make some changes NOW. However, I know that while the idea of I’m ready to Refresh, Reboot, and Reorganize – and to get things done, can bring on excitement, hope, and productivity, it can also bring on uncertainty, vulnerability, and fear of where to start.
Do you agree? I know I’ve experienced that.
So if you’ve been considering a cleanse, Fall is a great time. Summer is over, and the holidays are not here. Why not be at your healthiest when they begin?
Thinking you might want to join us, but you’re not sure? Here are some questions you can ask yourself:
- Am I ready for a reboot this fall before the holidays hit?
- How am I feeling in my body?
- Do I currently feel how I want to feel?
- Am I eating for nourishment, or am I numbing out with wine & chocolate OR….?
- Am I ready for a clean slate around food, so I finally know what foods fuel me best?
- Am I ready to look and feel my best, MORE than I want to eat the way I’ve been eating, drinking, etc…?
- Have I been wanting to make changes but felt I needed more support and motivation to do so?
- Do I like the idea of daily motivation and coaching with a group in a private online forum of like-minded people to help me feel & look my best? (the forum is optional but highly recommended)
- Have I been honoring myself or throwing myself under the bus, saying: I’ll take care of myself tomorrow or next week?
- And don’t forget to answer this question: Does this food look DELICIOUS?
In coming clean and getting clear on these questions, you will know if the Clean & Clear Cleanse is a good fit for you NOW. All I ask is that you give yourself permission to say YES to doing something that will give your body and spirit a huge lift. If your true desire is to feel light, grounded, energized, strong, fully present in your body, and to be eating delicious, whole foods and deeply nourishing your body with amazing supplements that heal, then the Clean & Clear Cleanse might be exactly the jump-start you’ve been craving.
So, what should you do?
Trust your gut, your inner voice; it will tell you if you listen. If you look over my program and if feels right to you, by all means, I’d be honored to guide you on this cleanse. I’ve shared this program with hundreds of women & some brave men, and it’s FABULOUS.
But rather than take it from me, want to hear what previous cleansers have to say? Click here to hear what others are saying about the Clean & Clear Cleanse.
In celebration of my marriage and new beginnings: I’m offering a big discount, and I’ve NEVER offered a discount on this program before! I’d like to support as many of you as I can, to kick off the season, and to help you feel; YOUR most FABULOUS!
No matter what you decide, I am here for you. Feel free to email me with any questions or just to share what is up with YOU. I love hearing what you are doing and how things are going for you. Bring it on! @ Lisa@insidebydesign.com. Enjoy, this beautiful fall season. Much Love, Ciao for now,